special by R’unique
- 1 cup (150 grams) whole almonds(blanched or natural)
- 2 cups (260 grams) all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon (1 gram) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 grams) salt
- Zest (outer yellow skin) of one small lemon
- 1 cup (226 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated white sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) pure vanilla extract
- 2 large (40 grams)egg yolks
- 1/2 cup (60 grams) confectioners Sugar
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) Raspberry or Black Currant Jam
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Place the almonds on a baking sheet and bake about 8-10 minutes, or until lightly browned and fragrant. Remove from oven and once the nuts have cooled, place in a food processor, along with 1/4 cup (50 grams) white sugar, and process until finely ground.
- In a separate bowl, whisk or sift together the flour, cinnamon, salt, and lemon zest.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer , beat the butter and remaining 1/2 cup (100 grams) sugar until light and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes). Beat in the vanilla extract and egg yolks. Finally, beat in the ground almonds and then the flour mixture. Divide the dough in half, cover each half with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until firm (30-60 minutes, or up to two days).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Remove one ball of dough from the refrigerator. On a lightly floured surface roll out the dough until it is about 1/4 inch (.5 cm) thick. Using a 3 inch (7.5 cm) cookie cutter cut out the cookies. Place the cookies about 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart on the prepared baking sheet. Use a smaller cookie cutter to cut out the centers of half of the cookies on the baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies for about 12 min.(until lightly browned around the edges).
Recipe Adapted from Joy of Baking