special by R’unique
- 2 cups (260 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated white sugar
- 2 teaspoons (10 grams)baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup (75 grams) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) milk
- In a large bowl, whisk or sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut the butter into small pieces and blend into the flour mixture with a pastry blender, two knives, or with your fingertips.
- In a small measuring cup whisk together the milk or cream, beaten egg and vanilla. Add this mixture to the flour mixture. Stir just until combined.
- Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead the dough gently four or five times and then pat into a 7 inch round. Then, using a lightly floured 2 1/2 inch (6.5 cm) round cookie cutter, cut the dough into rounds. Place the rounds on the prepared cookie sheet, spacing a few inches apart.
- Bake for about 15 -18 minutes or until nicely browned and a toothpick inserted into the center of a scone comes out clean
Recipe Adapted From Joy of Baking