special by R’unique
- 4 tablespoons (56 grams) unsalted butter
- 8 ounces (230 grams)semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (195 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- In a heatproof bowl, placed over a saucepan of simmering water, melt the chocolate and butter. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Beat the eggs and sugar, pale, and fluffy (about 3 to 5 minutes).Then beat in the vanilla extract. Add the cooled chocolate mixture and beat until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder. Add dry ingredients to the chocolate mixture, stirring just until incorporated. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm enough to shape into balls.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) and place rack in center of oven. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the sifted confectioners sugar in a bowl. First, form the chilled dough into 1 inch (2.5 cm) balls, and then roll each ball in the sugar. Make sure each ball is completely coated, with no chocolate showing through. Place the sugar-covered balls on the prepared baking sheet, spacing about 2 inches (5 cm) apart.
- Bake cookies for about 8 to10 minutes or just until the edges are slightly firm but the centers are still soft. (For moist chewy cookies do not over bake. Over baking these cookies will cause them to be dry.) Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool. These cookies are best eaten the day they are baked.